The current 1790 Analytics LLC study shows that:
- IEEE journals and conference proceedings received more than three times the number of citations as any other publisher.
- Referencing of IEEE papers in patents has increased 896% since 1997.
- Patents that reference IEEE are cited more often than patents that do not.
- In the overall patent system, patented technologies are increasingly referencing scientific articles and IEEE provides an increasing portion of that science base.
- Not only do IEEE publications frequently provide the science base for new inventions, but inventions that build upon IEEE publications are more likely to be valuable in the future than inventions that do not build upon IEEE.